May 20

Day 7 and our trip comes to an end. We did the last of the ride in a little over 3 1/2 hours. The day started with our first real rain. I was ready. I had a bright yellow slicker that I bought for rainy days in Port  Townsend. Noodle was a trooper and went commando style. Yesterday we saw a lot of old, used military vehicles on flat bed trucks, going in the other direction. There must have been a government auction and these were what people bid on and wanted. We are still trying to figure out why anyone would want a tank, but there they were, going some place. We went on Google with the question and the answer was that some men are still boys and want toys.  I want to tell you about the apple trees that we are seeing  in Washington. They are pruned to grow vertically. So they look like a flat two sided tree. The grower gets more yield in less space and they can use mechanical aids to pick the fruit. I have a feeling that this affects the taste,  but I probably don't know what an old fashion apple tastes like any more either. Wineries are big here. Everyone wants to be a grape grower and wine maker. I was a disappointment to the industry because I always ordered Classic  Coke and the rest ordered local beers. We had our special , last day on the road breakfast at Mel's Diner. A really old fashioned diner , in Tacoma, where the locals ate Sunday breakfast. I asked to meet Mel and the owner came out. His name was Fred, who bought it from Mel, and just kept the name. We were on first name basis when we left. On the road again, we saw a bald eagle and tried to see Mt. Rainer. The grey sky and clouds kept us looking but not seeing it. We did see rushing water falls all along the mountain sides. Our  temperature fluctuated between 47 and 72. I was either putting on Noodles sweater or taking off his sweater. He didn't care either way. He humors me. 

Finally we got to Port Townsend and a son, daughter in law and another Grandson, plus my trailer, were waiting for me. The kids were fine, the trailer fantastic. My grandson had unpacked what I had sent, my daughter in law made the bed and had fresh flowers waiting and my son and Grandson built a beautiful deck and got two lawn chairs,that were just waiting for me. A few hours later , another Grandson drove up. He flew in from NY and  his wife will be here Tuesday. The chef Grandson prepared wild salmon for us and washed the dishes. How special was all of this. ? Very special.

Write a new comment: (Click here)

Characters left: 160
DONE Sending...
See all comments

| Reply

Latest comments

04.07 | 08:10

I read the last page first too. It’s a family curse.

22.05 | 08:38

so glad youre here mom!

29.08 | 13:45

Don't quite know how this got to me but it was on the top line of my computer (not in email) But I really enjoyed it. I truly admire you.

31.07 | 07:02

Leona, do you have a date or a booked flight that you come back ?

You liked this page